Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Back again

We had a few beautiful days away.  I spent quite a bit of time visiting gardens,  eating and sleeping.  How much more does one need :)

Having a break is so important, it gives me a new perspective on problems and a time to refresh my spirit.  I have been very blessed this year to have 2 nights away in January for my 20th wedding anniversary and a few nights again last week with my hubby.  This is the first time this has happened in a year. and it has been wonderful. 



We all deserve a break from weighty responsibilities and cares of the world.  Not in a selfish way but to recharge your batteries and to connect with the other half and yourself.  But it is easier said than done.  I have found a few ways to do this on a daily basis even with kids at home.

One of the hardest things for my is to truly stop.  My mind races ahead and I have so much on going on in my head I can't switch off.  I have had to practice very hard to think and feel in the present.  A couple of things help to do this.  First I find that concentrating on all the things your senses experience helps.  First look around you and see what you can see then what can you smell, what can you hear etc.  Take good note of all the things you can use your senses for in the present. Another way to help being present centered is to force yourself not to think of things that have happened or are going to happen.  I do this by forcing thoughts out of my mind that are before or after where I am.  I push those thoughts away and focus on what I am doing now.





I try and have a 20 minute power nap everyday.  This helps me to regather my energy and refocus in the afternoon rush.  Not everyone may need this but I do as I have kids up in the morning at 5am and other not in bed till 9pm.  So it is a really long day when I still have things to do once every one is in bed.


It is OK to turn off electronic devices.  We have all become very used to being contacted 24/7 we don't need to be.  It is OK to be non contactable some parts of the day.  Do whatever it takes.Turn off the phone,  take the land line off the hook,  don't check e-mails more than once a day,  Let it all go.



The other thing I have always tried to do is to have 1 hour on my own everyday.  It doesn't always happen but I try to do this at least 5 times a week.  When the kids were little I would do this when they were having afternoon rest time.  Right up to 5 (school age in NZ)  my wee ones had an hours rest everyday.  They could read or play quietly in their rooms.  This gave my brain a much need rest from the chattering and constant running around. 

I use this time in a variety of ways.  I might phone a friend, read, do art work,  have a snooze or sing.  Whatever works today.  Not only does it save my sanity but has also modelled to the children the importance of looking after my self.  I always use this time for myself.  This has never been time to do housework.  I figure housework will always be around but I won't be.  So my prioroty is to discover more about myself not more about cleaning :)

This pattern has blessed me to refocus my energy,  to feel more likely to give to others,  it has helped me to remember my needs and to help myself extend my talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment