Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Negatives into positives






I sometimes get caught up in the negative crushing world of my own self doubt.  Not knowing who I am or where I am going, life sinks around me and I feel like I am falling into a black hole.  When I start sliding into this negativeness I now have the skills and I am well enough to get myself out of the hole. 

It hasn't always been like that.  After suffering crippling Post natal depression on 3 different occasions and one episode of anti-natal depression. Negativity was a world I lived in constantly albeit not much fault of my own.  I have found being positive very difficult especially during the times I was sick.   It got to the point that when I felt good I thought something was wrong with me. 






But after a lot of work I now am completely well. Now the negativity I have is just normal run of the mill stuff but it can still wear me down.




I have found a few things seem to get me feeling more negative.  When I get forced into a situation by other people,  when I have negativity thrown at me by people, when I have too much happening at once and when A lot of sad or unhappy things happen at one time. 





Having some feelings of negativity is O.K. it comes with sadness and dissapointment and stress.  It is what we do with it that is important.  Life is meant to be enjoyed and to be joyful




There are many ways to become more positive and to be nice inside.  Here are some that work for me
  • See the positive side of the experience -The glass half full or half empty scenario.  This can be very hard in some situations so go easy on yourself



  • Talk to someone.  If everything is just getting too much have a rant and a rave to a trusted friend or family member.  I feel better sometimes after I have spoken my fears aloud
  • Write in a gratitude journal.  This is previous post of how you do gratitude journals http://onemotheratatime.blogspot.com/2011/08/gratitude-journal.html
  • Thank people in your life.  From you other half to the postie.  Giving people thanks always makes me feel better
  • Serve others.  It always puts my life into perspective.
  • Say no to unimportant things when life is busy or when the new thing doesn't match up with your priorities
  • Fill you life with positive affirmations IE positive quotes around the house,  positive Friends and family,  time to do what fills your soul
  • Love others and yourself.  It takes alot of wasted energy to hate and to be negative.
  • Train your thought patterns to more positive things (lots of self help books around for this one if your stuck)
  • Give yourself time to get over bad situations.  Be kind to yourself and give yourself some slack if things are just bedlam at this moment.
  • Be real.  See reality in the situation some situations call for a good listener not to see the bright side in the situation.

"I can't change the direction of the wind,
but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination."
Jimmy Dean

2 comments:

  1. I'm grateful for the way you talk about the issues affecting you, knowing that they affect so many of us out there. What I find particularly beautiful is the wonderful cartoons you sprinkle into the posts. It's like a spoon full of sugar. Keep it coming Catherine. xx Dion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dion. I'm glad you like the cartoons. i love humour. It always lightens everything. xx

    ReplyDelete