Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Coping with stress

No matter what I do at this time of the year I always seem to have stress.  In the Southern hemisphere Christmas falls at the same time as the summer holidays and end of year breakups.  I seem to spend so much time trying to balance my time and keep sane.  I feel really sorry for my children because of all the extra pressure and needing to be in so many places in short spaces of time. This is how I sometimes look on Christmas day and it really isn't worth it if we are to tired to enjoy the day.



I have come up with a few ways to cope in this busy season that work for me.  Not everything that I do will work for you but I hope there might be a couple of things that  may help

  •  I try to keep fourth term extra curricular things down to a bare minimum.
  • I write daily to do lists that I don't keep to strictly but use as a guideline each day so that as I get nearer Christmas I don't collapse under the strain
  • I start shopping in June when I start seeing things on sale and I tuck them into the cupboard.  This helps the budget too.
  • I take time everyday to smell the roses.  I may take a walk or look at the cloud or read a book.  Just something small to gain peace in my heart.
  • I try to keep order in my home.  I sometimes have to rely on the children a bit more but it is worth it for the extra visual peace.
  • I don't do everything.  I chose to say yea to some things and no to others.  I base my decisions on the goals and values my family is aiming towards
  • I prioritise people first and jobs second
  • I try to spend an little time each day with each of my children and my husband.  Relationships always come first
  • I keep the lines of communication open in my home so I can see when things are getting too much for people.
  • I keep a well used calendar which everyone in the house can add things too
  • I expect help from everyone who is available.  If everyone does their bit the load is easier.
  • K.I.S.S  Keep It Simple Sister.  I don't need to make ginger bread houses for everyone or elaborately decorate the house
  • Remember to keep simple traditions with lots of meaning not traditions that take a lot of preparations and give very little in return
  • Serve others it always keep life in perspective.
  • Keep food simple but yummy.  A roast is always easy to prepare but is always delicious.

When I follow these things I find the stress decreases a little and really begin to enjoy the season.  I hope there could be something here that helps you.

Catherine xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment