Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Body image

I have been reading a book about how to look nice no matter what size or shape you are.  The author talks about not worrying about what size the garment is but whether it fits you well and suits you.  Her job is to help women look good and feel good in what they wear but not to change the views we have about ourselves,  that's up to us to do. 

What are our feelings about how we look.?  Do we buy into the fashion industry and magazine industry's idea of a perfect woman?  DO we bow to pressure of other peoples opinion of what we should look like?




Body image is an interesting topic.  We believe our bodies to be what we think they are not what they actually are.  Even some of the slimmest models can see many imperfections in her body.  Our values and beliefs of our bodies start with how our mothers feel about their bodies.  Chances are if your mother didn't have a good body image you won't.  (not in all cases there are always some exceptions of the rule) But the good news is we can change how we view ourselves.  We don't have to buy into the medias idea of a woman.  I certainly wouldn't measure up.  I am 5 foot 3", with no waist and hips.   I put my weight on in my tummy and break out once a month in spots (What happened to that finishing in the teen years!) 


height weight ratio cartoons, height weight ratio cartoon, height weight ratio picture, height weight ratio pictures, height weight ratio image, height weight ratio images, height weight ratio illustration, height weight ratio illustrations


But you know what we can't measure up because it is all fake.  Watch this clip from dove to see what I mean

Women are measuring themselves to an ideal that doesn't exist.  We need to fight against this onslaught of advertising.  We need to say we are perfect just as we are......we are beautiful and amazing human beings.
Instead of looking at the negatives we need to see the positives. 

I have lovely,  blue eyes that sparkle,  nice calves and forearms.  I can sneak into small spots easily.  I wear a badge of honour (actually it more like the map of the world He He ) on my belly which shows that I am a mother and proud of it.  I can say I am perfect because I am me. By changing our attitudes we can change our behaviour. 


height weight ratio cartoons, height weight ratio cartoon, height weight ratio picture, height weight ratio pictures, height weight ratio image, height weight ratio images, height weight ratio illustration, height weight ratio illustrations

We can see ourselves in a better light and instead of hanging onto those jeans we might fit someday we can go out and revel in who we are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment