Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Literature and movie review

One way I feel uplifted is to read about or watch movies about people who are inspirational.  I come away feeling a better person and with hope that I can be better and do more with my life.  So every Tuesday I am going write a post of literature and media that influences me to do better.  I hope this will help you to find inspiration in your life.

The first movie I have chosen to write about is Shadowlands. PG (Not for younger viewers as it is quite sad)


Shadowlands is about the life of C.S.Lewis the famous theologian and writer.  It is a romanticised movie about the relationship C.S.Lewis  (Anthony Hopkins) develops with Joy Gresham (Debra Winger) an American writer.  The movie was released in 1993 and produced by Richard Attenborough.

The movie begins by discussing the mystery of suffering, what is it's purpose and why do we suffer.  As the movie progresses this is explored further though Lewis' own experiences and personal suffering.  Lewis meets Gresham after she requests a visit with him on a trip to England.  The unlikely couple develop a Platonic relationship which progresses further after they marry for the convenience for a green card for Gresham.

The movie left me thinking a lot about what suffering is for?,  why we suffer? and how we move through difficult experiences?  I also helped me consider the way we interact with people and how we cope with tragedy.  

It is a movie well worth watching (with a box of tissues)  and one that leaves the viewer a better person for seeing it.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Catherine, this is truly a wonderful blog. I'm so thrilled to read all the beauty and courage it presents. So much food for thought and so much uplifting wisdom for those of us who dedicate ourselves to our families first. I'll be waiting with anticipation for each new post filled with another boost of love and inspiration. xx Dion.

    ReplyDelete